Monday, November 16, 2009

First day off

After 10 days working 'in the chair' I got my first day off today (Monday). Try as we might neither one of us could sleep in later than 7:30AM! Go figure - we're retired, and on vacation, and on a day off, and we can't sleep in until 8:00!!

Off for bleaching of my beard - Beehive Salon with Mike. Just a little after 10AM a large truck pulls up to the curb and Mike steps out. He is about 40 (I found out that he is actually 39), very good looking, and quite nervous as he has never bleached a beard or eyebrows before. This does not help my confidence, but we are both determined to push ahead. He asks that I check out the consistency of the solution in the back of the shop.........and that's when I see a picture of a very good looking shirtless male taped to the inside of his chemical locker. Yes, he's gay and has been in a committed relationship with his partner for 10 years. Anyway, we get the beard and eyebrows bleached and we are both happy. I ask what I owed him, his answer......."Uhh, how about $20"!! I usually pay at least $40, if not $45!!! I talk him up to $30 and we make a date for two weeks hence. What a find - he's very good at his job, very good looking, and cheap.

Off and pick up lattes at McD (well, they have been advertising that they have espresso coffee and how good it is!). We waited for at least 12 minutes (I personally think they were waiting for the beans to mature!). Then off to have a massage at the gym Ed has been going to.

Ralph is a large black masseusse at the gym and he wants to know all about being Santa. So while he inflicted pain to all parts of my body one knot after another I tried to carry on a decent conversation. One hour later and I flow out to the lobby/foyer to pay for the experience. All in all it was quite good. I again flowed over to the men's change room and see Ed soaking in the hot tub/jacuzzi. As I climb into the perfectly acceptable warm waters and sit under the waterfall (interesting experience sitting in a jacuzzi while hot water pours over your head) I wonder if I will leave an oil slick on the water's surface as I melt.......but no, I start feeling parboiled and go to shower off. Get dressed and out the door after a tour of the facility with Ed. The gym has a large room with cardio machines, 6 racketball courts, a basketball court, a 'toning' room for physio therapy, an outdoor heated swimming pool, a basketball court, and a free weight room with more cardio equipment. And of course a bar/TV room.

Off to an alternation shop for them to fix a slight tear in one of my suits (fur came away from the fabric and then to Costco for cheap gas (at least 20cents/gal).

Stopped at In-N-Out for burgers ($12 for double cheeseburgers advertised as double/doubles just like at Timmie's plus fries and medium drinks which are slightly smaller than a vat!) and then off to see a bit of Fresno we haven't explored. My handbells had a slight accident yesterday - one of the bells detached itself from the leather strap. The rivet just gave out, but where in Fresno to find a machinist to re-rivet? Well we did drive through a very nice (read expensive) shopping court just to see what they had to offer. And sure enough we saw a shoe repair shop - what could be better? They deal with rivets and leather all the time, right? Nope, he looked at us and said, "We don't do that stuff".........."Try the leather shop down a few doors from here". Walk into this beautiful leather shop selling expensive purses, luggage, handbags, and briefcases. A very nice gentleman comes out from the back and asks us if he can be of some assistance. I explain the problem, he looks at the bells, the strap, then me and back to the strap. "Let me look at this closer and I'll be back in a few minutes. Sure enough, in a few minutes he's back with all bells attached...........and he doesn't want a penny for it "Call it a Christmas present from me to Santa". What a day!!

Off to let the pups have a stretch and we find a great park (Woodward) - several lakes/ponds, biking and walking paths, large expanses of grass. Similar to Stanley Park. Great time to stroll and let Mojo have his say at the large flock of semi-domesticated geese. He so wanted to chase those birds.......and I'm sure that they would have loved to have him come into their midst. Can you say chopped Llasa salad??

Back to home and having a martini, watching TV and munching on cheese and crackers (big and late lunch - we don't need anything for dinner!).

So what has everyone else been doing? Off to work tomorrow so will probably not write too much for a week. Take care of yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment